Thursday, June 21, 2012

Math Centers

It is official... I need to go to pinterest rehab!  I have been stuck to pinterest for the past two days finding too many cute things to do next year in my classroom.  The only problem is I don't know where to start!  My to do list keeps growing with great ideas, in addition to trying to prep a nursery for our sweet baby boy.

Next year our school is doing a reading block and a math block.  I am excited about this and being able to integrate the other subjects into our reading and math times.  I have always blended my curriculum and cannot wait to do more with thematic units.  However in the past we were told to stay away from too many thematic units.   It's funny to watch how the pendulum swings back and forth.  When I started 6 years ago we used themes.  Then after one or two years, we had to follow the basal with fidelity.  Now we are back to using themes and only the "meaty" parts of the basal while using the common core standards.  Our school went ahead and implemented the CCS this past year in Kindergarten, so I feel comfortable with the standards and am focusing on planning my new theme-filled year.  We can finally bring the fun back to Kindergarten!   Has this ever happened to anyone else?!?!  


So, back to the original tangent of being addicted to pinterest... I was looking up math ideas and want to implement daily math centers next year.  I have always done math centers in my classroom, but only once or twice a week.  It was difficult to fit them in with the SS, Science, and Writing blocks built into my schedule.  Now that we are "allowed" to integrate these subjects, I want to do centers daily.  I bought Debbie Diller's book Math Work Stations.  I saw many pinterest ideas that referred back to this book.  Has anyone read it?  Was it as inspirational as everyone says?  


Math Work Stations

I also found a few blogs that had some good ideas.  




Now my brain is spinning on what to do and how to organize them.  I hope the book will help me sort out my ideas.  I am very lucky to have many different Lakeshore Math centers from grants I wrote on Donors Choose (if you haven't checked out that website, you must.  It is a great way to get classroom supplies for free from kind strangers!).  We must follow the order of our basal (Go Math) because of our report card requirements, so I'm tied down to what must be taught each nine weeks. I am more concerned with logistics.  How to group the kids, how long to stay at the centers, keep the same center types all year or do random centers, etc.  Has anyone implemented math centers daily in their classroom?  If so, I'd love some pointers or even a link to a blog/website that has ideas.  Thanks in advance for the help or suggestions!  I love learning things from other teachers!  

6 comments:

  1. I could spend hours and hours on Pinterest! It is so addicting.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and love it. Totally agree that Pinterest can be totally addicting...especially in the summer. I am sure you are getting great ideas for a nursery! Congrats!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do Math centers just like I run my literacy centers! My students really enjoy them!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spend soooo much time on Pinterest. Lots of great ideas!

    We are swinging back to themes, too. I am so excited! I think it makes learning more meaningful.
    Susan♥

    Kindergarten is the Best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinterest is so addicting!

    I am looking to revamp my math to include more center-based activities for next year, too. I have Debbie Diller's literacy work stations book and would love to pick up her math stations book, too. Thanks for the links to the bloggy resources!

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Pinterest too! I've seen some of these math ideas. I need to get back into my room and decide how I'm going to organize all of my math manipulatives and centers too!

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete